Please email or call before your first class. After that, you can use "Book Me" to reserve your spot. Your account passes will not be deducted until you attend.
Do I need a towel?
Usually a towel is not needed. However, if you tend to have sweaty palms, then placing a small hand towel (microfiber is best) underneath your hands will prevent them from slipping in poses such as Downward Facing Dog.
If you tend to sweat easily from physical activity, then a hand towel is also handy for your own comfort.
How do I clean my Jade Yoga mat?
Jade Yoga Mat Cleaning (from the distributor):
For daily cleaning, deodorizing, and disinfecting:
- Air dry or wipe with a micro-fibre cloth, which does not give off lint.
Alternative: make your own, all-natural yoga mat cleaning recipe
(Elephant Journal by Jennifer S. White)
- 1 cup of water (distilled)
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar or Witch-hazel (without alcohol)
- 8 drops tea tree oil
- 5 drops eucalyptus oil (or lavender/ thyme/ clove/ lemon grass)
Spray on the mat and wipe or air dry, then wipe with micro-fibre cloth and water.
More Thorough Cleaning:
Body oils tend to build up in the pores of the mat, which can cause it to loose its grip.
Surface cleaning will help, however for a more thorough cleaning try the following:
- Place your mat in a large front loading washing machine
- Set on a gentle cycle with hot water (no detergent)
- Place your mat in a large front loading washing machine
- Cold water, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 teaspoon organic laundry detergent.
- Place your mat in a bath tub filled with warm water
- Add a tablespoon of neutral PH soap (e.g. hair shampoo, Nature Clean, etc.)
- Rub down and rinse well.
Drying your mat:
- Lay a big absorbent towel flat on the floor with the mat on top; roll them up together
and press hard with hands and/or knees. This will transfer 90% of the water from the mat to the towel.
- Hang up indoors, and it will be dry in about 24 hours. Do not expose the mat to the sun as UV rays will compromise the non-slip factor.
- When you don’t use your mat it is recommended that you keep it rolled up and in a bag.
- Protect your mat from extreme temperatures, such as keeping it in your car throughout the seasons.
How do I clean my Manduka or Half Moon yoga mat?
For PVC mats:
- Wipe down with a soapy cloth. Wipe down again with water or rinse in the shower/tub and hang to dry.
For Natural Rubber mats:
- Spray with a non-alcohol mat cleaner made for rubber mats.
- You can make your own:
- Spray bottle of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% water
- Wipe down with a damp cloth
I am a beginner. What class should I take?
If you have any challenges, please email to schedule a short interview to determine the best class to suit your needs, or to schedule a short interview.
If you are absolutely new or have very limited yoga experience, you may wish to start with the Intro to Yoga 101 6 week workshop. If that is not possible (schedule conflicts etc.), then Relax and Renew as well as Restorative (all floor postures) classes are suitable for everyone. If you are already active and familiar with basic postures, you may start with Beginner Vinyasa, or Yoga Abs.
Always inform your instructor of any physical limitations/injuries before class, and that you are beginner.
I am not flexible. Can I practice yoga?
Of course. You do not need to be flexible to practice yoga, but if you are not flexible then YOU NEED TO PRACTICE Yoga.
I am out of shape. Can I practice yoga?
Out of shape? You have come to the right place. Yoga strengthens your muscles while improving flexibility, massaging internal organs, detoxifying the body, reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
I do not have a mat.
We have rental mats for $2 ttl, as well as a selection of mats for sale.
I don't know which class to take?
Please call 718-PURE or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a short interview to best determine your needs. You can also review below for some guidelines:
- You are at a Beginner level, either completely new, or perhaps you have taken beginner classes and want to continue at the same pace: Yoga 101, Relax & Renew, Restorative
- You are a seasoned Beginner and want more variety in your practice, or to add more challenge: Yoga Abs, Beginner Vinyasa
- You are a seasoned Beginner to Intermediate level, enjoy being active, and love to challenge yourself: Vinyasa Flow, Warm Vinyasa Flow, Warm Detox Flow
- You are a Senior who has a consistent practice. You are only as old as you feel :).
- You are a Senior who has never practiced, or not in a long time. Perhaps you have difficulty getting down on a mat, or limited mobility: Chair Yoga
- You have a limited mobility issue which makes it hard to balance, or to get down and up from the ground, fibromyalgia, MS, Seniors: Chair Yoga.
- You have a newborn and want to bring your not-yet-crawling-fast baby to class: Mom and Baby
- You are pregnant and beyond your First Trimester: Prenatal (note: check with your doctor if you are experiencing complications before starting yoga, or if you have never practiced before.)
- You are pregnant, do not have a regular practice, and still in your First Trimester: This is a special time for you to relax and let go as your fetus implants in our uterus. Please wait until your 2nd trimester before adding any new physical practices
Still not sure? Email email@example.com with your questions.
I have <medical condition>. Can I practice yoga?
If you have concerns always consult your doctor before starting a new exercise program, particularly if have a medical condition. If you have your doctor's blessing then remember to note your condition on the welcome form and to inform your instructor so that modifications can be offered for any postures that present a difficulty for you.
If you are still unsure, please call 718-PURE or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a short interview to determine your needs.
Should I eat before class?
It is best to practice yoga on an empty stomach UNLESS you are pregnant. If you are pregnant, have a light snack before class, such as some fruit.
If you are not pregnant and feel you need to eat, try to eat an hour before class and keep it light --- like some fruit and/or salad. Save the rest of your meal for after class.
What are some of the Health Benefits of Yoga?
What does Namaste mean?
There are several similar translations of Namaste, but this is the one I use in my teaching:
I honour the light within you that is Truth, Love and Peace. When we are in our place of inner peace, we are One in spirit.
What should I wear and bring to yoga class?
Yourself :). In comfortable clothes you can stretch in, such as sweat pants or yoga pants and a t-shirt or tank top. Bring a mat if you have one, but we have extras if you forget yours or haven't purchased your own yet. Mat rentals are $2+tax.